Alternatives to Plywood Shuttering for Beams, Columns, Slabs
Read about pros and cons of using alternative materials for shuttering
Plywood used in shuttering can be typically used around three or four times before it gets damaged and is no longer usable. There tends to be quite a bit of wastage as the plywood is cut from standard sizes of 2400 x 1200 (or 2440 x 1220) they are normally available in. The timber battens are also cut from wood and need on-site preparation to be used properly.
There are several alternatives to plywood shuttering as listed below which can be used for hundreds of repetitions.
· Framed system in Steel or Aluminium
· Fibre Reinforced Boards
· Wood Polymer Composite
· ABS Panels
· Reinforced Polyurethane Foam Boards
Some of the questions that should be discussed with the supplier of these alternatives.
· Is the material readily available? Is there a distribution network?
· Is assistance for on-site assembly provided by the manufacturer? Can the construction workers be easily trained for it?
· What is the cost per sq.m? Is it available for rental as well?
· Is the system safe to put up and de-shutter? Can workers climb on the system supports?
· Does the supplier offer engineering services like design of formwork?
· Will the supplier provide formwork assembly drawings specifically for the project or only provide general drawings of the system?Published on 12 June 2021